Johnny’s Hideaway in Buckhead celebrated its 39th anniversary recently, If you don’t know (and have been living under a rock) Johnny’s is well known as Atlanta’s original nightspot for big kids, and with good reason – the popular restaurant and dance club has been guaranteeing good times since 1979.
Greg Picciano had no idea a turntable, a stack of 45s and a college dorm in the early 70s would lead to a successful and enduring career as a DJ. More than four decades later, he’s still spinning the hits several days a week for a loyal crowd at Johnny’s Hideaway.
Picciano got his Atlanta start in 1981 as a music director and mid-day personality at WSB AM 750. In 1998, his career in traffic reporting began when he joined WKHX-FM and WYAY-FM as the morning and afternoon traffic voice. Over the years, he’s been on-air at many stations and interviewed a wide range of celebrities from Tony Bennett to Barry Manilow.
Picciano credits music and radio with taking him places he’s never imagined, including Johnny’s Hideaway. When it comes to picking the best tunes for a gathering, DJ Greg recommends reading the crowd by playing that first song. Here are his picks for a BuckHaven Lifestyle summer playlist. Groove on, baby!
1. Good Vibrations-Beach Boys
2. Margaritaville-Jimmy Buffett
3. Walking On Sunshine-Katrina & The Waves
4. Hot Fun In The Summertime-Sly & The Family Stone
5. Three Little Birds-Bob Marley & The Wailers
6. Brown Eyed Girl-Van Morrison
7. Summer Of ’69-Bryan Adams
8. Uptown Funk-Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars
9. All Summer Long-Kid Rock
10. The Electric Slide-Marcia Griffiths